Isle of Mist
Hi! Welcome to Isle of Mist's website. In order to create an account, you must be a member of the pack. You can sign up to become a member by applying on our WolfQuest thread located in Pack Central.

If you're already a member, login to have the ability to view all of IoM's boards & forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Isle of Mist
Hi! Welcome to Isle of Mist's website. In order to create an account, you must be a member of the pack. You can sign up to become a member by applying on our WolfQuest thread located in Pack Central.

If you're already a member, login to have the ability to view all of IoM's boards & forums!
Isle of Mist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some General Roleplay Terms

Go down

Some General Roleplay Terms Empty Some General Roleplay Terms

Post  Kiyoura Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm

From: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/rpg-terms-glossary-t4220.html

We don't expect everyone to be an expert roleplayer and know all of the terms and such, so I decided to put a few common RP terms such as in-character, out of character, godmoding, and others. These are just a few out of the list located at the link above, so if you don't see it here, go click the link =D

In Character (IC): Anything that occurs in/relates to what happens in the game (to/by the characters).

Out of Character (OOC): Anything that occurs/relates to things out of the game, e.g. OOC knowledge (you know a character is evil, but your own character does not).

Mary-Sue (Sue): A character that defies the 'rules' of the setting, is incredibly accomplished for no reason, can do things that no other can reasonably do, seeks to make themselves the focus etc. -- This character is also to be avoided. Everyone hates Mary-Sues. They're annoying and really bring down the level of fun in a roleplay.

Metagaming: Bringing OOC knowledge into an IC situation, e.g. knowing that a character really likes ice cream, when it has never been mentioned, and your character has no basis for knowing this fact. -- I haven't really seen this much lately, though it's still worth mentioning. Also, avoid it. Even if you know something about someone else's character, it doesn't mean your character does.

Godmoding (godmoding, moding, godmodding etc.): Where a character does something they are not capable of/do not have permission to do to another character, e.g. moving another character (without actual physical intervention by the godmoding character) by stating they are somewhere they are not without the other player's permission. -- This is to be AVOIDED. No one likes it when someone is godmoding.

Backchannel(ing): The practice of chatting and plotting in private e-mail, messages or IM, instead of public view on the forum. Example: "It's okay for Joe's player to say that my character is there. I said it was okay in the backchannel." -- Tarou and I do most of our "plotting" like this, even if we don't mention it.

Original Character (OC): A character who was created does not appear in the canon source, but was created from scratch by a player.

If you have any questions about any of these, don't be afraid to ask!
Kiyoura
Kiyoura

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum